Last Flight 2020
salute for those lost in 2020
- 05/11/2020: Just learned, Major General Herbert J. Spier, Helix 42, took his last flight on 22 May 2019. He won a Silver Star, three DFCs and a Purple Heart. He was the commander of the "Chu Lai Yacht Club." Slow hand salute to true hero, a good friend and a good man. Here is a link to his obituary https://flannerbuchanan.com/obit/herbert-j-spier/.
- 04/25/2020: Just learned, Col. Robert Henry "Hank" Haden, Nail 80, took his last flight on 17 Nov 2014. For a link to his obituary click here. A belated slow hand salute for this fallen hero.
- 03/20/2020: Jon E "Wrobo" Wroblewski, Nail 58, took his last flight on 18 Mar 20 after a long stay in the hospital. Jon flew OV-10s for the 23 TASS.
Jayne sent out a note just a while ago. Jon, Nail 58ski, FAC extraordinaire, Shit Hot , He passed away last night in Colorado Springs after a long and complicated series of problems which destroyed his body. Jayne was right there with him as he slipped away. Jon was one of the Buds in the Nails late 1972 - 73, and was a Cambodia rat. He was a great guy, highly spirited, and wore the cape - you Nails will understand. He thought that he was something else at the 4-5-6 table, but we know the truth. Did anybody ever cash that check? Jon, was a great lifetime friend and I shall miss him so. I was looking forward to bringing him and Jayne to the FAC Reunion in Sept and I know that he was looking forward to it too.
No details yet on services. All is complicated by the COVID-19 reality.
Jayne can be reached at email@example.com
A slow and tearful hand salute to a dear and very special friend and fellow combat aviator..
- 03/18/2020: Wayne D. Bradley, Nail 46 and Ascot 10, took his last flight on 16 Oct 2019. Wayne flew O-2s for the 23 TASS out of NKP and Phan Rang Sep 67-68. Although Wayne passed in 2019, we just learned of his passing.
- 01/23/2020: Slow hand salute for Donald R. Brown, Nail 32, 1967-68. He flew O-1s and O-2s for the 23rd TASS out of NKP. Don took his final flight 18 February 2020.
- 01/23/2020: Robert E. "Bob" Hammond, Lt.Col. Retired, aka Shark 03, Mike 59, and Tonto 02, flew West 22 Jan 2020. Bob flew O-2s for the 25th Infantry Division out of LZ English and as a FAC out of BanMe Thout. He was a life member of our association. His obituary can be read at https://obits.nwfdailynews.com/obituaries/nwfdailynews/obituary.aspx?n=robert-hammond-bob&pid=195151904