Flew West 2021Slow hand salute to these brave warriors
To return to the website Home page click here.
To return to the Flew West Index page click here.
- 05 Jan 22: Darrel R. Dunlop, Bilk 34 slipped surly the bonds of earth on 5 Dec 2021. Darrel flew O-2s for the 20th TASS in 1966-67 out of Bien Thuy. His obituary can be read at https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/fort-worth-tx/darrell-dunlop-9933901
- 05 Jan 22: Wallace "Wally" Judge, Nail 73, went west on 14 Dec 2017. Wally flew O-2s for the 23rd TASS. His obituary can be read at https://www.newcomercolumbus.com/Obituary/151575/Wally-Judge/Columbus-Ohio
- 05 Jan 22: John M, "Mike Morris, Sundog 04, flew west on 16 Apr 2020. Mike flew O-2s for the 21st TASS. He was a life member. His obituary can be read at https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/dfw/name/john-morris-obituary?id=31317103
- 27 Dec 21: Col James C. Gibler, Helix 21 flew west at 26 Dec 2021 at 2030 CST. Jim became the ALO the 198th Light Infantry Brigade of the Americal Division based at Chu Lai on Christmas Day 1967. He flew O-2's for 20th TASS. He proved his mettle time and again; most notably for his actions during the evacuation of Kham Duc, 12 May 1968, he was awarded the Silver Star. He lead by example; he was my boss; and I would have followed him anywhere. A very slow and tearful hand salute to a good man, a brave warrior and a life member of the Association. Services will be held at Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 9821 Frankford Avenue, Lubbock, Texas at 1000 CST Friday 31 Dec 2021. https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/tx/lubbock/james-carter-gibler-13906937
- 20 Dec 21: Glenn L. Timm, "Headhunter", flew west on 15 Dec 2021. Glenn flew O-1s as a Headhunter FAC. He was a life member of the association. Slow hand salute to this brave warrior. His obituary can be read at https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/mt/polson/glenn-timm-13853525
- 27 Nov 21: Brigadier General Noah Edward "Ed" Loy, Cider 22, flew west on 29 Dec 2020. Ed flew one of his two tours out of Pleiku while attached to the 2nd Brigade, 4th Infantry Division in 1967. He flew a second tour in 1973. Ed was 82. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.parrottramsey.com/obituary/brigadier-general-noah-edward-loy?fh_id=14890
- 23 Oct 21: Joseph W. "Jay" Barnes, Jake 26, flew west. Jay flew O-2 for the 20 TASS out of Tam Ky from Jan 70 - Nov 70.I had a voicemail from Sue Barnes waiting for me when I woke up this morning. No easy way to say this-- Jay has passed away. I'll get details and pass them on. He was in Pittsburgh at his moms house, where he's been for the last couple years, and as far as Sue knows right now, had a massive heart attack about 3 days ago, and was found by neighbors after they hadn't seen him for a couple days.
Not only was Jay a HUGE part of the FACA from day one, but also the driving force and founder & prez of the Jake FAC's. He also set up virtually all of his UPT reunions, active member of the Knights Templar, and a lot more than I can remember right now. Jay got me finally involved in the FACA, after a number of years of him pushing me, back in '08-- and given what was happening in my life at the time, probably kept me on the planet.
Due to some email issues, I've not received a goodly number of them recently, so maybe I'm coming late to the party about Jay's passing. If so, I apologize for opening up new wounds about our loss. Sue had very little contact info on us, besides me. She and I have had numerous conversations over the years about drinking problems, but he had been working the problem really hard the last couple years, and he achieved the goal that many of us recovering alcoholics have, and that is to die sober. He was a very good man, and will be missed by many, many people, whose numbers I have no idea about.
I'll pass on what I find out. And I must tell you, Sue has no idea how to contact USAFA, or any of the other organizations Jay belonged too. I'm going to call her and see if she'd mind me putting her phone number on the FACNET, because a number of you knew Jay for over 50 years have would be of immeasurable help to her.
Slow hand salute and many tears,
PhilJake 26/Bully 20
- 29 Sep 21: Wesley E. Groves, Covey 598, flew west on 26 Sep 21. Wes flew O-2s for 20th TASS from Aug 70 - Aug 71. Visitation is scheduled for 1 Oct 21 from 1800 - 2000 with funeral service the next day at 1000 at Wright Funeral Home, 1201 W Helm St Brookfield MO. Wes was a life member. His obituary can be read at https://www.wright-funeralhome.com/obituary/Wesley-Groves
- 04 Sep 21: Maj (Ret) Leo F Kimminau Sr, Gombey 17, flew west 3 Apr 2021. Leo flew O-1s out of NKP for the 19th TASS from Jan to Dec 66. Slow hand salute for this early warrior. His obituary can be read at https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/phoenix-az/leo-kimminau-10142120
- 28 Aug 21: Maj Alan Zaiser, Walt 31, flew west on 21 Jul 2021. During his tour 1967 - 68, Alan flew the O-1, O-2A, and OV-10s for the 21st TASS. He was awarded two DFCs and flew 499 combat missions. Slow hand salute for this brave warrior. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/tampabaytimes/name/alan-zaiser-obituary?pid=199883768
- 18 Aug 21: Col Richard M (Rick) Atchison, Nail229, flew his last mission 4 Aug 2021. Rick flew OV-10s for the 23rd TASS from Feb 70 - May 72 out of NKP. He was a Life member of the FAC Association. Slow hand salute for this brave warrior. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.jeffersonfuneralchapel.com/obituaries/Richard-Atchison-2/#!/Obituary
- 12 Aug 21: David M. (Mike) Lyons, Nail 88 flew west on 9 Aug 2021. Mike flew O-2 and OV-10 for the 23 TASS. Slow hand salute for this brave warrior.
The funeral service for Mike Lyons is Mon, Aug 23 at St Peter Catholic Church in Monument, Colorado. Visitation is at 0900 with the Rosary at 0930. The funeral mass is at 1000. There will be a reception immediately following at the St Peter Parish Ministry Center. Burial is at the USAFA Cemetery at 1330. From classmate Bob McKinney on FB
- 26 Jul 21: Col (Ret) Donald Allen Spooner, Red Maker 07, Allen 14, flew west on 23 July 2021. Don flew O-1 for the 19th TASS from July 68 until Jun 69. Don was a life member of the FAC Association. His obituary may be read at https://www.fairfaxmemorialfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Donald-Allen-Spooner?obId=21815793#/obituaryInfo He will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery at a date to be determined.
- 12 Jul 21: Gordon Alvin Isachsen, Covey 247, took his final flight on 14 JUN 2021. Gordy flew two tours as a FAC, APR 70-71 and NOV 72 - SEP 73. He flew O-2s for the 20 TASS out of DaNang and Ubon. Gordy was a life member of the FAC Association. His obituary can be read at https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/westlake-village-ca/gordon-isachsen-10236539
- 10 Jul 21: Lawrence Reed, a Covey FAC has flown west. Larry flew O-1 for the 20 TASS.
- 10 Jul 21: James A. Crookston II, Bilk 02, 23, flew west on 19 Jun 2021. He flew O-1s and O-2s for the 20 TASS. He was a life member of the Association. His Obituary can be read at https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/co/boulder/james-adamson-crookston-ii-12909980
- 10 Jul 21:Col Terry A. Markle, a Nail FAC flew west on 19 Jul 2020. Terry flew OV-10s for the 23 TASS. He flew a second tour in the F-4 pilot. We apologize for this late posting. We have just been made aware of his passing. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/dailypress/name/terry-markle-obituary?pid=196555706
- 15 Jun 21: Col John Kelly Giles, Red Marker 02, Flew west on 29 July 2019. John flew O-1 for the 19th TASS March 1967-68. John was highly decorated for his service in Vietnam. We apologize for this late posting. We have just been made aware of his passing. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.thecantonherald.com/article/john-giles
- 04 May 21: Dennis Wayne Oxelgren aka OX, Snoopy 50 flew west this weekend. He flew O-2s in Psy Ops missions for the 22 TASS. Ox was a life member of the Association.
- 13 Apr 21: Lt Col John E. York USAF (Ret), Bomber 44, Jake 04 flew west 9 Apr 21. John flew two tours in the Vietnam War. One tour as a FAC flying O-1s for the 19th and 20th TASSs and second tour as a B-52 pilot out of Guam. He was a life member of the Association. Here is a link to his obituary https://www.oologahonline.com/news/oologah-community-mourns-loss-john-yor
- 11 Feb 21: Col Harley E. Lawrence Jr. USAF (Ret), Bird Dog 83, Cricket, Gombey 06, flew west on Sunday 31 Jan 21. He was 81. Harley flew O-1s for the 20th and 23dr TASS. He was a life member of the FAC Association. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/chronicleonline/obituary.aspx?pid=197650702
- 04 Feb 21: Lt Col (Ret.) Gary D. Pointer, Nail 43, flew west on 15 Sep 2020 in Jonesburg MO. Gary flew OV-10s from May 72 - Apr 73 for the 23rd TASS out of Plieku. Gary was an Air Force Academy graduate, Class of 71, and will be interred at the USAFA Cemetery on 30 Jun 2021 at 1000 hours. Condolences can be sent to his family in care of his son, Dirk Pointer, 11 Daytona Ct, O Fallon, MO 63368-6657. This is a late posting as we have just learned of his passing.
- 02 Feb 21: Capt Thomas G. Bonser, Gombey and Nail took his last flight on 26 January 21. Tom flew O-1s in the early days of the war in Southeast Asia for the 23 TASS in 1965-66. Tom was awarded 2 Air Medals and a Silver Star. His obituary can be read at https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cincinnati/obituary.aspx?pid=197608815
- 01 Feb 21: Col Roger B. Nash USAF (Ret.), Nail 23 took his last flight on 21 Jan 2021. As a FAC Roger flew OV-10s out of Nakon Phanom AB Thailand for the 23rd TASS. He was laid to rest at the Air Force Academy Cemetery on 29 Jan 2021. His obituary with picture can be read at https://obits.gazette.com/obituaries/gazette/obituary.aspx?n=roger-brian-nash&pid=197605491&fhid=41018
- 31 Jan 21: CMSgt Ronald J. Dandeneau, Rustic Foxtrot, flew west on 28 Sep 2018 flew OV-10s for the 19th TASS. Ron was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross while flying combat in Southeast Asia. He is interred at Arlington National Cemetery. His obituary may be read at https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/washingtonpost/obituary.aspx?pid=190377042 This is a late posting as we have recently learned of his passing.
- 16 Jan 21: Lt Col Wayne L. Wood, USAF (Ret), Rustic 06, flew west on 24 May 2019. Wayne flew OV-10s for the 19th TASS out of Bien Hoa and Ubon RTAB from Sep 71 until Sep 72. His obituary may be read at https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/4430741/Lt-Col-Wayne-L-Wood-USAF-Ret/wall This is a late posting as we have recently learned of his passing.