Flew West 2022Slow hand salute to these brave warriors
To return to the website Home page click here.
To return to the Flew West Index page click here.
- 19 May 22: Donald R. Moody, Butterfly 22, Raven 70 flew his last mission on 19 April 2022. Don flew O-1 and U-17. He was a life member of the FAC Association. His obituary can be read at https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/fort-worth-tx/donald-moody-10718945?fbclid=IwAR03-8Bg4uTg7luf-D4G9ZhPzQUj2oO5UAganTlk10tIQCQ7q6GNJNsJpIE
- 12 Mar 2022: John (Jay) Cappel, Jade 05, Flew west on 06 Mar 2022. Jay was an O-1 Bird Dog driver for the 19th TASS. He was a life member of the FAC Association. His obituary is contained in a email from Joe Sowa to Brad Wright.
Kaew (Gail) Cappel, Jay's wife, called me March 9th to inform me that Jay had passed away March 6th, 2022, while in Hospice care in Las Vegas, NV where they had lived for many years after he retired from the USAF.Here are my thoughts, after a phone conversation with Gail:
· John (Jay) Cappel
· Loving Husband, Father, Grandfather
· Forward Air Controller (O-1 Bird Dog, Vietnam, 1967-68)
· Passed away in Hospice Care, Las Vegas, NV
· March 6th, 2022, after a long battle with Cancer.
· Jay requested cremation with no services or ceremony.
· I knew him as a man of exceptional competence, courage and deep faith in God;
Self-effacing to a fault; family man, loving and caring despite his years of pain stemming from injuries he received while being shot down September 7, 1967, during a night mission to relieve an Australian position under attack by the Viet Cong.
That story is told in "CLEARED HOT Book Two" pages 122-128.
It took 40 years to get told, but we cornered him at the Colorado Springs Reunion where Kip Taylor and I implored him to hand write just a page or so to get his incredible story told. He delivered a few weeks later in time for us to add our part in the story and pass it by the Aussies who performed the rather heroic rescue after daylight the morning after the crash.
Over the years since, he quietly had the PURPLE HEART medal and ribbon from that action framed and mounted, prominently, in his living room.
Rest peacefully in the Lord, Jay.
Slow, reverend hand salute
- 27 Feb 22: Lt Col Lyle E. Delfosse, Birddog 62 flew west at 1100 on 04 Oct 2018. He flew O-1s for the 20th TASS out of DaNang. Lyle was highly decorated career officer and a life member of the Forward Air Controllers Association. His complete obituary can be read at https://www.mccullyfuneral.com/obituary/Lyle-Delfosse
- 22 Feb 22: Lt Col Eugene Alfaro, Nail 227 and Candlestick flew west on Christmas Eve 2021. Gene flew O-2s and OV-10s for the 23rd TASS. Gene was a life member of the FAC Association. His obituary can be read at https://obituaries.tridentsociety.com/obituaries/san-diego-ca/eugene-alfaro-10503359 Slow hand salute to this brave warrior.